The Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination or HSEE is a national level entrance test conducted every year by Indian Institute of Technology Madras for admission to the master programme offered by the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) of the Institute. The test is conducted various cities across India. The HSEE started in the year 2006 coinciding with the launch of the M.A. programme at IIT Madras. This is the only test of its kind, which admits students to a five year integrated masters programme in humanities and social sciences subjects offered by an IIT.
A Candidate should have appeared any one of the following qualifying examinations for the first time in either 2021 or 2022.
• The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by a Central or State Board recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (www.aiuweb.org).
• Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a Board or University recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
• Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defense Academy.
• Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
• Any Public School, Board or University examination in India or in a foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities.
• H.S.C. vocational examination.
• Class XII skill courses of CBSE.
• General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London, Cambridge or Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level.
• High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
Candidates who have completed Class XII (or equivalent) examination outside India or from a Board not specified above should produce a certificate from the Association of Indian Universities to the effect that the examination they have passed is equivalent to the Class XII examination.
In case the Class XII examination is not a public examination, the candidate must have passed at least one public (Board or Pre-University) examination earlier.
Performance in Qualifying Examination
Candidates belonging to the General, GEN-EWS and OBC-NCL category must secure a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination. Candidates belonging to SC, ST and PwD categories must secure a minimum of 55% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination.
Date of Birth
Candidates whose date of birth falls on or after October 01, 1997 are eligible for HSEE-2022. However, in the case of SC, ST and PwD candidates, upper age limit is relaxed by 5 years, i.e., candidates belonging to SC, ST, and PwD and born on or after October 01, 1992 are eligible. The date of birth as recorded in the High School (10th std./12th Std.) first Board/ Pre-University Certificate will be taken as authentic.